CREATE 3D ENERGY IN THE CLASSROOM!
We are currently working on raising funds to develop the existing tools for our pilot learning platform on energy.
We have a project up on KICKSTARTER:
Energy Matters – A 3D Learning Tool by Oligo Academy
This immersive 3D learning tool engages students in solving climate and sustainability issues, while having fun learning.
Find out how to engage your students in climate issues
We are developing a 3D virtual world, which is made to make learning fun and effective. The idea is to motivate and engage students in climate and sustainability issues and invite them to take part in future planning using 3D imagination and creative building tools.
We have developed a prototype about different forms of energy and co2 tested it on students from the 5th and the 6.th grade in a primary school. We got great feedback and it strengthened our belief that the concept works and makes all students much more motivated for learning; boys and girls and students with social barriers for learning. The students also gave us valid feedback on functions and parts of the 3D world we could improve.
Their teachers also gave us feedback and one of their barriers for using the 3D world is that is they would like it to be more user-friendly. We are already working on it, and now we seek funding to finish these teacher tools in order to move into a wider audience, and create more teacher trainings for them to more easily use virtual worlds in class.
- Teacher control panel – easy to use – and so that schools can share the costs of hosting and just book a virtual world region, when they want to add a more motivating learning experience to their learning material.
- An e-learning teachers-course on how to facilitate the 3D learning tool -in order to help teachers getting started using this learning concept.
- The development of Energy Matters virtual world topics; crop production, smart-grid, cars and biofuel, house energy – designs + animation.
At the moment, we are focusing on: Implementing proper hosting services that can be booked on a day-to-day basis. We are also working on having more schools to test the concept and confirm the learnings from the first school
All the basic tools used in this concept is free software, both the Singularity virtual world viewer, the Blender 3D design tool and the virtual world server OpenSimulator, therefore the only costs for schools is related to hosting, when they book a virtual world region, e-learning material and perhaps teacher courses. With the funding we apply for, we will make the concept freely available for schools to try out for 1 year.
Besides the learning concept schools can work with the virtual world platform, to teach students about 3D design and script programming, by using the videos and the 3D model render server, we make available.
Support us and get:
– The first 200 backers get a sneak preview of the 3D learning tool, where you two days before kick-off, get to meet the team of developers.
– Receive inside information about the development process of the 3D learning tool.
– Get a unique poster that you can print at your local shop.
So please share this link with anyone you know that might be interested in helping us build these tools for school children all over the world.